Solo and Ensemble
REGISTRATION DUE FRIDAY
FEBRUARY 6, 2015
EVENT DATE IS APRIL 25, AT NEWNAN HIGH SCHOOL
Solo and Ensemble is an opportunity for students to receive feedback about their ability to play individually and in small groups. We find that students who participate in these events grow tremendously as musicians. Students may enter up to three events total and the music they perform must be approved by Ms. Baker or Mr. Newton. Students may find music at the local stores, online or borrow from the band library. Students should choose things from a technique book or classical solo and ensemble repertoire. Pop and Broadway music is not appropriate for this type of event.
Recognized authorities in the field of music education critique the participation of each performance evaluation performance during a planned performance evaluation schedule, and provide their written and/or oral opinions in terms of:
· A standard rating of excellence in performance and sight-reading.
· Comments and suggestions for improvement.
· Suggestions to the individual teacher to aid in personal teaching and/or conducting techniques in the belief that musical performance is the most crucial of learning situations in our subject area, that the proper evaluation of these situations is of inestimable value to the individual school and its music education program, and that the preparation for performance provides added incentives and stimuli to the teaching and learning of music in our schools.
The goals of performance evaluation participation are:
· To promote the development of musical knowledge as expressed in performance through evaluation, advice and suggestion;
· To raise the standards of musicianship, instrumentation, technical knowledge, and literature selection of performers; and
· To offer students and teachers the opportunity of extended listening to the best work of peer groups from other schools.
Recognized events for solo and ensemble include:
ENSEMBLES: brass, woodwind, string, percussion, vocal, piano, and jazz ensemble
SOLOS: brass, woodwind, string, classical guitar, percussion, vocal, and piano
Ratings for solo and ensemble events:
Superior (1): Outstanding performance. Worthy of distinction of being recognized as among the very best.
Excellent (2): Unusually good performance in many respects, but not worthy of the highest rating due to minor defects. A performance of distinctive quality.
Good (3): A good performance, but not one that is outstanding. Shows accomplishment and marked promise, but lacks one or more essential qualities.
Fair (4): A performance that shows some obvious weaknesses, generally weak and uncertain.
Poor (5): A performance which reveals much room for improvement. The students reveal almost a complete lack of preparedness and understanding.
SOLO AND ENSEMBLE REGISTRATION FEES
FEES: SOLOS= $7.00 per solo
FEES: ENSEMBLE= $4.00 per student
_______________________________________Print Your Name
________ Number of Solos Entering _________ Number of Ensembles
_____________________________________ Total amount included
REGISTRATION DEADLINE FEBRUARY 6